The Town of Carrboro is seeking applicants to the Youth Advisory Board (YAB). This is an opportunity for residents between the ages of 14 and 18 years old to become active in the community by participating in local government.
Apply by Sept. 1 at https://www.townofcarrboro.org/FormCenter/Town-Clerks-Office-25/Youth-Advisory-Board-Application-201920-119
The Youth Advisory Board is composed of 11 members appointed by the Mayor:
- All members shall be between the ages of 14 and 18 years old, and shall reside, work in or attend public, private or homeschool classes in Carrboro
- No member may be enrolled as a full-time college student
Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan and implement annual youth-led Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. event with NAACP Youth Group and Recreation and Parks Youth Council
- Matters that affect youth in Carrboro
- Matters which are referred to the YAB by the Town Council
It is also expected that board members will be asked, or required, to attend occasional leadership development programs and Town Council meetings (or other Town Advisory Board meetings). Board members are expected to actively participate in the preparation of written reports to the Town Council on matters which are referred to the board for comment, and may be asked to make presentations to the Town Council.